Ethics and passwords

Steve Acheson satch at cisco.com
Fri Aug 29 14:27:03 PDT 2008

Well, I can answer for myself, at least, but I'm probably biased since
I've been doing Infosec for the last 15 years and have always been a bit
paranoid about both mine and others access...

I also find that 88% number hard to swallow.  Perhaps that's 88% of the
people that they offered $10 for their password to that were then
interviewed...  It's gotta either be a typo or some bizarre demographic
that they interviewed.

I wouldn't bother with stealing corporate info just because I was laid
off...  I won't say I never would, because if someone pointed a gun at
my girlfriend or had my thumbs in a screwvice I'd happily give them
whatever they wanted.

But, for my own ethics, I wouldn't.  Whenever I leave a company, I make
sure all of my accounts are deactivated and locked or deleted.  I want
no chance that someone could later say that I still had access and did
something.  My paranoia speaking again, but I've seen it happen to
friends in the past, and I like to learn from other people's lessons not
just my own...

Plus, after spending years enabling SSH, moving to SSO, encrypting
databases, PKI+SMIME, etc, I guess it would just be wrong to subvert all
that work...

satch