Odd HTTP queries ("Invalid method in request") seen as of 16/Oct/2007:22:25:27 -0700

David Wolfskill david at catwhisker.org
Thu Oct 18 05:36:08 PDT 2007

Well, after seeing a bunch more of these "Invalid method in request"
log entries yesterday, I decided that the novelty  had worn off, and I
was a bit tired of it.  And I noticed  that there was a fair amount of
repetition (in source IP addresses).

I already use a couple of IPFW tables for blocking certain traffic from
collections of netblocks: I block all traffic in either direction for
table 1 (that's reserved for netblocks whose custodians are
insufficiently responsive to abuse reports); I block all SSH requests
from table 2.

So I created a "table 3" for netblocks from which I now block 80/tcp and
443/tcp, and populated it with a list of the 45 unique /32s I found
from yesterday's log.

This appears to have reduced the impact on my Web server somewhat.  :-}

(For those unfamiliar with the approach, IPFW tables in FreeBSD are
accessed in a way that is similar to the way routing tables are, so it's
more efficient to use them for large numbers of entries than it is to
use a simple list of separate packet-filtering rules.)

Peace,
david
David H. Wolfskill				david at catwhisker.org
Proprietary data formats obfuscate, rather than disseminate, information.