Help in selecting router please

Michael T. Halligan michael at halligan.org
Wed Sep 20 16:15:36 PDT 2006

Michael T. Halligan wrote:
> Tim Pozar wrote:
>> Michael T. Halligan wrote:
>>
>>> A full BGP route table on the 2821 pushing 3gb/s? Not according to
>>> cisco.
>>>

>> To continue... I wouldn't push it much beyond that.  If folks get
>> serious, then I would point them at something like a Juniper M7i.
>>
>> Tim
>>

> What's strange is cisco's 2821 limited performance documentation only
> bothers showing bandwidth in the low
> 10s of megabits/second.
I found this router performance chart after quite a bit of digging:
http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/765/tools/quickreference/routerperformance.pdf

Cisco rates the 2821 at 170kPPS or 87.3mbps.. It could be that Cisco is
purposefully underspecifying it's hardware to promote buying larger gear?
 Though, honestly I have trouble believing that a $3k router can push
3gb/s of bgp routed traffic.