Is "wiki" the current state-of-the-art for a "virtual whiteboard?"

David Wolfskill david at catwhisker.org
Tue May 23 10:25:02 PDT 2006

I've been asked to set up a very low-volume, restricted-access
application that the requestors liken to a "virtual whiteboard."

In this case, a couple of folks would use it to update the status of
their contacts, and 4 other folks -- one pair co-located, but somewhat
time-shifted; the other pair shifted both in geography and time -- would
refer to it so they don't appear clueless when the phone starts ringing.

Yeah, a simple text file could do the job if all concerned were
sufficiently comfortable with the normal FreeBSD/UNIX command line
stuff, but I have a fair amount of evidence that this is not the case
for at least one pair of the folks involved.

The only thing that comes to mind is a Wiki-based Web page, and I like
being able to have at least a pair of alternatives when I'm asked to
make a decision.

If it's to be Web-based, I have a machine I expect to host it -- it's
already running Apache 2.2.2.  It's also a box that I'm grooming to
take over as a local master CVS repository; I would prefer that whatever
I use require little in the way of additional cruft (such as, say, PHP).
That said, I may end up installing some version of PHP on it later on
anyway.  :-{

The box is a dual 3GHz Xeon w/ 4GB RAM, running FreeBSD 6-STABLE
(updated weekly, both OS and ports -- though the last couple of weeks
there have been no updates to the rather few installed ports, and I like
it that way).  It does a "make buildworld" in about 30 minutes, and is
mostly idle except when it's updating its local mirror of the FreeBSD
CVS repository (daily, in the wee small hours of the morning) or
doing the buildworld.

So:  suggestions?

Thanks!

Peace,
david
David H. Wolfskill				david at catwhisker.org
When reading advertising, recall that "up to" means "no more than."