Jabber help

John Costello cos at indeterminate.net
Fri May 12 10:58:31 PDT 2006

Hi Guy!  Hope all is well.

On Fri, 12 May 2006, Jim Hickstein wrote:
> > Thanks for the suggestions, Scott.  Anyone else have thoughts?  I can't
> > believe y'all don't have an opinion ;^)
>
> My last outfit ran (and runs) a jabber server from jabber.org, a rather
> old one.  But it's impossible to enforce its use, so people still send
> plenty of company-confidential information to each other, and to
> customers, via "public" IM services.

Internally, you could have the jabber servers act as proxiesw and route
all IM network traffic to those serves for monitoring.  That is a proposal
I have heard, but have not seen implemented.

However, once people are outside the office network enforcement becomes
impossible--what stops a user from logging into IM on a home computer?
Nothing.

-----