Jabber help

Guy B. Purcell guy at extragalactic.net
Fri May 12 09:32:01 PDT 2006

On May 11, 2006, at 21:07, Scott Wulf wrote:

> If you need to capture these conversations for compliance purposes
> and/or are so paranoid you don't want the conversations to leave the
> office then Jabber is the right solution.

Yep--exactly the reason.  The various IM service providers, like the
various free email providers, feel that the data sent through/stored
on their servers belongs to them, and that's just not something you
want happening to the sort of internal company information that can
be blithely send via IM.

> Sorry, I do not know what
> Jabber server we use.

Bummer--I'm really looking for help on the server decision:  once the
server is settled, finding clients is pretty trivial.

> Another solution is to install an encryption tool on each
> client system.

Unfortunately, that's not enforceable, so isn't an option.  If there
were no way to do IM other than with OTR enabled, this would be the
way to go (wouldn't have to maintain yet another common service in-
house), but the world just isn't there yet.

Thanks for the suggestions, Scott.  Anyone else have thoughts?  I
can't believe y'all don't have an opinion ;^)

-Guy