PenLUG this Thursday: Matt Doar, Better Automation Environments

Bill Ward bill at wards.net
Tue Mar 21 22:12:20 PST 2006

Please come to the Peninsula Linux Users' Group meeting this Thursday
for another great talk!

WHO: Matt Doar, Better Automation Environments
WHAT: Better Automation Environments
WHEN: Thursday, March 23, 7-9pm
WHERE: Open Country, 1301 Shoreway Rd, Belmont, CA 94002
WHY: To learn and socialize with other fans of Linux and open source

LOCATION: Starting in January 2006 we have been meeting at the offices
of Open Country in Belmont, who are also graciously providing us with
FREE FOOD and BEVERAGES so bring your appetite as well.  We will be in
the same room as last month: downstairs, just inside the main entrance
and to your right.  We plan to post directions at the entrance.

RSVP: not required, but send a note to rsvp at penlug.org if you can, so
we have an idea of how many people to expect.

SPEAKER/TOPIC: Matt Doar, Better Automation Environments

Automated environments are how you run your automated builds, along
with automated tests and releases with generated lists of bugs for
further testing. What should you look for when choosing an automated
environment? Why can't you get by with shell scripts alone? Automated
environments such as Anthill, CruiseControl and Tinderbox are
discussed, along with what a good build report looks like, and how to
decide when to build your products.

SPEAKER BIO: Matthew B. Doar began writing code as a child in
Yorkshire in the late 1970s, studied Engineering and then Computer
Science at the University of Cambridge, and finished up with a Ph.D.
in computer networking. He has been a professional software developer
for over ten years at a number of different companies, writing C, C++
and Java code for large projects and tools. He also wrote JDiff, an
open source tool for comparing the Java APIs of different versions of
large projects. Matt currently works near San Jose, CA as a toolsmith
by day. By night, he has learned to play the clarinet, and
accidentally delivered his own son. He is the author of the O'Reilly
book "Practical Development Environments." More technical information
and contact details are available at Matt's web site:
http://www.pobox.com/~doar

SPECIAL NOTE: I will not be available to host the meeting, so Peter
Knaggs will take over in my absence.

--
Help bring back the San Jose Earthquakes - http://www.soccersiliconvalley.com/