Spot Cooling

Michael T. Halligan michael at halligan.org
Wed Jul 26 20:56:55 PDT 2006

Roy S. Rapoport wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 26, 2006 at 04:58:42PM -0700, Danny Howard wrote:
>
>> Let's say you weren't sure how much power you could run in, and ventilation
>> might be difficult ...
>>
>> And let's say you knew absolutely nothing about A/C technology.
>>
>> What sort of things would I be looking for in a unit, and what do I need to
>> watch out for?
>>
>> It sounds like I may need to drain water, and/or ventilate the unit, and
>> I'll have to be areful where I plug it in.
>>
>> Does anyone have a paticular favorite unit?
>>

> $500 Costco special.  Sorry, did I say $500? I meant $400.
>
> http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11126033&whse=&topnav=&browse=&s=1
>
> No drain issues.

And of course, you're going to buy two of them, aren't you? You're also
going to hook up your servers to a UPS, when the rolling blackouts hit
this summer.. And you're also going to configure your servers to
shutdown immediately if power fails, because the UPS won't be able to
run the inductive
load of the AC, and all of a sudden 12 servers in a tiny room turns into
a hardware melting oven.

Or perhaps it just might make more sense to put them into a colo facility?