Google Ops Presentation and Meeting Formats

Jim Hickstein jxh at jxh.com
Fri Jan 27 12:08:02 PST 2006

> We'd love to have more volunteer nonBoard MCs that could handle piping
> up and realigning the talks when they get off topic.. Us Board members
> are a little hesitant to dictate how the meeting goes

Oh, we're not all hesitant. :-)  I've done this before, though I tried
to keep it light.  It's actually a documented responsibility of the
EventCoordinator (in the internal TWiki), but it often goes better when
the EC delegates this to a specific moderator (often a volunteer) who is
not shy.  There are moderators and moderators, just as there are
speakers and speakers, to say no more.

To answer the original question some more: It varies.  Some meetings are
quite formal, hands raised and speaking in turn; some are 4-hour-plus
animated "discussions", at least some of which turn out to be
worthwhile.  (My private concern about the time was mostly that we used
to run out of video tape. :-)  If you're a witness to one of the latter
melees, I'd say it's perfectly appropriate to speak up and ask if this
is how most people want it to go that evening.  The speaker (or the
moderator) can then regain control.