Remember MODEMs?

David Wolfskill david at catwhisker.org
Wed Jan 25 14:46:58 PST 2006

I've been asked for a recommendation for a stand-alone MODEM intended
for out-of-band access to a remote terminal server.

I'm not expecting it to receive much use, nor does it need to be either
fast or fancy.  (We're using 9600 bps for the connections through the
terminal server.)

It does need to sit for long periods of time doing nothing, but spring
into action and work reliably when it is called.

It's been so long since I've used a dial-up MODEM that I don't even
remember for sure what comanies still make them.  :-}  (I do still have
a Telebit WorldBlazer, I think -- but I know Telebit's been gone for a
while.)

Suggestions for coming "up to speed" on this would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance; I'll summarize.

Peace,
david   (who hasn't checked the MODEM on his year-old laptop)
David H. Wolfskill				david at catwhisker.org
Mail filters, like sewers, need to be most restrictive at the point of entry.