What is BayLISA to you?

Guy B. Purcell guy at extragalactic.net
Tue Feb 28 00:12:13 PST 2006

Your hard-working board has been discussing the general topic of
"goals for the organization" for several months, now, and has at
least half a dozen ideas about what we are and should be--which is
not surprising given that there are seven of us and we're
sysadmins :^)  We have consensus on a few things:

* We organize technical presentations

* We provide a venue for interpersonal communication/networking for
sysadmins

* We'd like more input from the membership

Even if you're not a member, we're interested in hearing at least why
you're not a member and/or what we could do to make it worth your
while to become a member.  So, what say you:  what is BayLISA to you,
and how can we improve it?

To kick things off, I'll offer that, personally, I think our
profession has matured to the point where it would be beneficial to
have a professional society.  I wouldn't mind seeing BayLISA becoming
a local chapter of such a national organization, providing technical
training of the sort that BayLISA has been providing for years, in
addition to other things made possible as part of a larger group.
Such an organization is coming, some day; I think it's fitting that
BayLISA, as one of the first groups of its kind (_the_ first?  sorry--
my knowledge of our own history isn't what it should be), be a part
of its formation.

-Guy