System Administrator Tool chest..

John Costello cos at indeterminate.net
Fri Feb 3 16:22:26 PST 2006

On Fri, 3 Feb 2006, Jennifer Davis wrote:
> You want to put together a set of tools for your new team member who is
> coming on board.  What do you put together?  What tools do you assume that
> she will be borrowing from you (so it's not needed in duplication)? I'm
> talking about physical hardware here, and not anything software wise
> unless it's a floppy that you have copied over essential scripts.

I still favor the ThinkGeek Swiss Geek Knife,
<http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/tools/5a09/> whenever I deal with
hardware.  It has torx bits, which were helpful when dealing with Macs
(don't know if Macs still require torx).  That is a spendy item, but it
covers a lot of needs.

Other tools depend on the task at hand.  Crimpers are useful.  Small
flashlights are really nice when you are trying to find that screw that
just fell into the hardware case, and a pair of tweezers to grab the
screw.

> Thanks!
>
> Jennifer

-----
John Costello - cos at indeterminate dot net