System Administrator Tool chest..

Elizabeth Zwicky zwicky at greatcircle.com
Fri Feb 3 16:09:45 PST 2006

On Feb 3, 2006, at 3:38 PM, Jennifer Davis wrote:

> You want to put together a set of tools for your new team member who
> is coming on board.  What do you put together?  What tools do you
> assume that she will be borrowing from you (so it's not needed in
> duplication)? I'm talking about physical hardware here, and not
> anything software wise unless it's a floppy that you have copied over
> essential scripts.

A label maker. Anything else should be so rarely used that it's
better off kept centrally. In the machine room, with a static
strap. (Co-worker: I gotta go buy a new video card. Dunno what
happened to the old one. Me: By any chance, was it dead after
you installed the new ethernet card? Him: Yeah. Me: And, of
course, you were wearing the static strap supplied with the card?
Him: Would I skip an essential safety step? Me: So, you weren't
wearing the strap? Him: So you don't think it's a horrible
coincidence? Me: When you install the new video card, are you
planning to use the static strap? Him: Actually, I was planning
on using two.)

	Elizabeth