Disaster relief technical volunteer opportunity

Brent Chapman Brent at greatcircle.com
Mon Aug 21 17:09:53 PDT 2006

At 1:14 PM -0700 8/21/06, Phil Hunter wrote:
>I'm curious how this is different/better/needed vs. Amateur
>Radio?
>
>Training, Field/Sim Day, International, VoIP, what's different?
>Basically a duplication of effort as far as I can tell.

Not at all.  I am an Amateur Radio operator myself, and Amateur Radio
serves very different needs in very different ways from what we
envision.

In simplest terms, Amateur Radio is very good at setting up systems
that _they_ can use to pass messages _for_ other parties.  Because of
licensing restrictions and technical factors, though, an Amateur
Radio operator has to be involved with every message at each station.
There are also restrictions on what sort of messages can be passed;
nothing for commercial gain or in support of a commercial business,
for example.

What several different groups built in Mississippi and Louisiana, on
the other hand, were community WiFi Internet access networks that
anybody (sometimes victims, but more often other relief workers from
other agencies) could tap into and use.  This enabled these other
groups to far more effectively communicate with and mobilize
resources from outside the disaster area, such as their own backing
organizations, yielding a much more effective response; furthermore,
they could do it on a "self-serve" basis with IT equipment that
they're already more or less familiar with, and without needing a
specially-licensed operator, enabling far more "customers" to be
served.

I'm proud to be an Amateur Radio operator.  Amateur Radio is probably
always going to be up and running first, within hours of a major
disaster, providing vital communications links during the first hours
and days after a disaster.  But it's foolish not to recognize its
limitations (some regulatory, some technical, and some practical),
and pretend that it can be everything for everybody and that there's
no role for any other mechanism.

-Brent
--
Brent Chapman <brent at greatcircle.com> -- Great Circle Associates, Inc.
Specializing in network infrastructure for Silicon Valley since 1989