Bay Area home internet

Jim Hickstein jxh at jxh.com
Fri Aug 18 12:07:27 PDT 2006

> I'm quite happy with BayLISA's own ISP, meer.net.  I monitor the circuit
> and downtime is extremely minimal (I've seen T1s with more downtime).

Me, too, and I live in St. Paul!  (STPLMNEM, if you're keeping track.)

They re-sell Covad, in my case, and Covad leases copper -- but probably
not much else -- from Qwest, my iLEC.  I have residential ADSL at
6012/768 on a dry pair.  _Every_thing goes in and out through Chicago,
due to Covad's cloud.

But I still get to contact Meer first for support, and that makes all
the difference.  Meer Possesses Clue, and they easily earn the premium
over what I might pay to Qwest directly.

(And even Qwest has been pulling up their socks lately: They now
dispatch 7x24 even for residential POTS service, not just hi-cap.  They
apparently finally figured out that a paying customer is a paying
customer, though I have no doubt there are still anecdotal horror
stories being created.)