PenLUG next Thursday (NEW LOCATION) - Bernard Golden, GPL3 - Where Free Software is Going

Bill Ward bill at wards.net
Thu Apr 20 18:57:36 PDT 2006

The Peninsula Linux Users' Group is holding a meeting next Thursday,
April 27, in our new location at the Twin Pines community center in
Belmont.

WHO: Bernard Golden, CEO, Navica
WHAT: GPL3 - Where Free Software is Going
WHEN: Thursday, April 27, 7-10pm
WHERE: Twin Pines Park, 1225 Ralston Ave, Belmont, CA 94002
WHY: To learn and socialize with other fans of Linux and open source

LOCATION: We've outgrown the big meeting room at Open Country and
needed to find a bigger space, and Open Country has graciously
sponsored the community center room as well as the usual free pizza
and beverages.  Give a big thank you to Open Country as you enjoy FREE
FOOD, BEVERAGES, and now the room rental.

Check the PenLUG Web site at http://www.penlug.org/ for driving
directions and a map showing where to park and what building we're in.
 Google Maps doesn't do a very good job on this one, unfortunately.

RSVP: not required, but send a note to rsvp at penlug.org if you can, so
we have an idea of how many people to expect.

SPEAKER/TOPIC: Bernard Golden, GPL3 - Where Free Software is Going

A new version of the GPL is circulating in draft form. Because it's
the most common open source license in the world, the community has a
strong interest in what changes are present in it. While there has
already been a lot of discussion about the new version, many important
aspects of it are not commonly understood. This talk will discuss the
key changes in the new GPL version and why it is the most important
open source development in the past five years.

SPEAKER BIO: Bernard Golden is Chief Executive Officer of Navica, a
Silicon Valley consulting firm offering open source strategy,
implementation, and training services. Bernard is recognized authority
on open source software, particularly the use of open source in
enterprise settings. He is the author of "Succeeding with Open Source"
(Addison-Wesley Press, 2005). He writes a regular blog on open source
for CIO Magazine, and his work has been featured in SearchCIO.com,
Enterprise Open Source Journal, LinuxWorld, IT Manager's Journal,
InfoWorld, and eWeek. He is a frequent speaker on the topic of open
source to many organizations and at conferences like LinuxWorld Expo
and the CIO Summit.

--
Help bring back the San Jose Earthquakes - http://www.soccersiliconvalley.com/