FibreChannel Stuff

Jim Kavitsky jkavitsk at Brocade.COM
Wed Sep 21 12:14:59 PDT 2005

When people talk about fiberchannel, what they are usually talking about
is SCSI encapsulated in the FC protocol. It is possible to run other
protocols encapsulated within FC, for instance, IP.

As you have suspected, many fiberchannel HBAs that are not "supported"
will work just fine, as the basic fiberchannel standard, and that of
SCSI have been well defined for quite a while. Non-supported cards
usually just have not been tested extensively. This typically means you
are on your own when a problem arises.

The relevant question is: How important is it to me to be able to get
support for my configuration from my array vendor when I have a problem?
You have suggested that this is going to be a production system. Are you
going to be capable of debugging and fixing problems on your own?

If you do decide to jump into an unsupported configuration, go with the
HBA that your OS has a stable driver for. Take a look at Emulex, too. We
are using a few Redhat machines with Emulex LP9000 series cards with
good luck, and have generally found them to be quite reliable and widely
applicable.

Are you willing (or is it even possible) to change the OS in question?
You may find more supported options when dealing with something like
Redhat ES, or Solaris. I have not personally used FreeBSD on my SANs.

Are you planning to use this system "direct attached" via a fiber
channel arbitrated loop (FCAL) or through a switched fabric SAN?

-jimk