discounts -- Re: Exchange replacements

Mon Sep 19 22:57:56 PDT 2005

hi ya

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005, Michael T. Halligan wrote:

> Exactly what I've been rambling about. Any vendor should be happy to
> extend discounts to a professional organization, and any professional
> organization should be happy to ask vendors
> for those discounts.

good discounts vs "negligible" discounts will also reflect how "happy"
the vendor is or maybe their discount calcaulator is broken by the bean
counters that have to okay it

"picking on 5%":

5% discount from hardware vendors is like a free machine
since most folks hardware costs approaches 95% of the retail
due to competition
	- there are some exceptions to costs like dell that makes
	their own custom hardware to widen their gross margins to
	25% or more  and than they add their silly "pre-paid warranty"
	that boosts their profits thru the roof

5% discounts from software vendors ... humm that's when i look
for other vendors, but again depends on which sw one is buying

c ya
alvin