This is what happens when a BSD hacker is told to use Linux

Guy B. Purcell guy at extragalactic.net
Mon Sep 19 22:31:00 PDT 2005

On Sep 19, 2005, at 16:26, David Wolfskill wrote:

> I was right:  it *is* North & Central AMerica, upside down (north near
> the bottom of the screen) and mirror-imaged.
>
> I think that's perverse.

Actually, that's something done by most astronomical optics systems.
Getting things right side up requires extra bits in the optical path,
which lowers the light throughput (by something like 5% per
surface).  Since astronomers frequently push detection thresholds to
start with, cutting down light throughput isn't tolerated.  Just
digitally rotate/flip the image back to the expected orientation.

-Guy

P. S.  Did you ever figure out how to make Gnome & xdm play
together?  Knowing that may come in handy someday (I used to do
something similar when I had Solaris on my desktop).