Thin Client solutions

Mon Oct 24 19:40:16 PDT 2005

hi ya brian

On Mon, 24 Oct 2005, Brian Street wrote:

> > i assume a CF inside is not acceptable ??
>
> I'm sorry...CF?

compact flash

> Your points are valid and we've been thinking about them all. What I
> am considering is a firewalled network for code development that only
> allows connections from specific thin clients (I should be able to
> allow only specific mac addresses to connect just like a wireless
> node, no?).

for security ... macaddress is worthless, since it's easily
changed by those that want to get in that way

wireless is say 99.99% insecure ... unless one uses ssh for the
connections between the wireless client and where ever it goes
on the other end

> We are also considering a separate desktop for the users
> to check email, internet access, etc. but what prevents them from
> just taking the time to copy the data from the isolated network to
> the other network.

nothing ... and sneaker net always works best ...and can't stop
it other than if they were fired and "needs the job"

> At some point you have to trust that your source
> code is safe with your new employees, but I think that might be too
> cautious of an approach.

you have to trust the people you hire and work with otherwise,
why are you hiring them ??

> We'd like to limit the access to the code and try like heck to keep it
> from getting out....which is a huge task and probably not possible.

if it does go out .. what is the consequence in terms of $$$ for
loss because the competitor steals your idea and beats you to
the paying consumer market  vs costs to prevent the leak ??

- you can always encrypt the data with people's private key,
  so that it goes out, you know who leaked it

========

if they have physical access to the pc ... there is no security ...
	- all best are off

	- first thing anybody can do is simply pull the power plug
	or mroe likely, wiggle the ethernet cable and you get your
	3am phone call that the network is down

	- endless list of security issues to solve vs productivity
	to get products out the door

c ya
alvin