Tech jobs in the midwest?

Roy S. Rapoport rsr at inorganic.org
Thu Oct 6 09:37:25 PDT 2005

On Wed, Oct 05, 2005 at 11:48:53AM -0700, Paul M. Moriarty wrote:
> The major growth areas I see in IT moving forward are not in high-tech, but
> rather in health care and finance (especially real estate).

And if all you need/want is good pay or just a job, that's a good thing to
remember.  I'm not trying to be snarky here -- I used to think that I'd
really prefer not to work in financial companies due to the culture thing,
but then was out of a job for about four months and when the opportunity to
join a financial company came up, I jumped on it.  I'd do it again if I had
to -- being employed is a Good thing[tm].

But you know, the truth is that in my experience, at least, financial
companies and health care organizations (got a friend who's a network
engineer in one) typically encourage an environment that I frankly know,
due to my own character limitations, I don't thrive, nor am I happy, in.

So for me, it really needs to be some sort of innovative tech company, and
it'd be hard to find a concentration of these sorts of opportunities
between the coasts, I think.

Not that I disagree with you, of course -- the real estate angle especially
is an interesting one, and speaking as someone who's dating an attorney
looking to get into real estate, I hope it becomes even hotter :)

-roy