Tech jobs in the midwest?

Michael T. Halligan michael at halligan.org
Wed Oct 5 12:15:50 PDT 2005

Paul M. Moriarty wrote:

>Michael T. Halligan writes:
>

>>Roy's point was right.  Taking jobs in dead-end areas really limits
>>you.  There was an article
>>on news.com a few months ago about software companies opening up in
>>these impoverished
>>dead farming communities. Their whole strategy was low cost in labor &
>>other resources. They
>>specifically mentioned moving people out under the guise of lower costs
>>of living (with far lower
>>salaries) and ensuring loyalty because they were the only option in town.
>>

>I read that article.  IIRC they were talking about South Dakota and Arkansas.
>Not Ohio.
>
>Top 50 metropolitan areas in the US:
>
>15. Cleveland-Akron            2.9 mln people
>23. Cincinnati-Hamilton        1.9 mln
>31. Columbus                   1.4 mln
>49. Dayton-Springfield          .9 mln
>
>Ohio is a pretty populous state.  Remember the last national election?  20
>electoral votes.  By comparison, Arkansas has 6.  South Dakota has 3.
>
>- Paul -

Ohio is a pretty populous state. So is Indiana. Both of them are still
reeling to find a new
economy after the death of manufacturing in the '80s. Working in the
midwest, except maybe
Chicago is like being the last guy at a start-up in the valley, except
it's cold and there's nowhere
to go once you've sold off the rest of the equipment.  Population means
nothing in this context
really. Columbus? How much of that population exists to support the
college, or are students
themselves? Hey, I'm not trying to bash the midwest, without Ohio we'd
probably only throw
out 50% of our yearly corn crop instead of 60% of it.

--
Michael T. Halligan
Chief Technology Officer