mtg followup - data - bingo !!

Wed Nov 23 13:01:30 PST 2005

hi ya jim

On Wed, 23 Nov 2005, Jim Hickstein wrote:

> This solicitude seems to be peculiar to the US.  In most other places
> I've been in the world (and a minority even inside the US), I was either
> not permitted to connect to a network at all (or sometimes only after
> installing antivirus software, and "It's a Mac!" didn't cut it*), or I
> had to (a) run Windows, AND (b) authenticate myself to their outbound
> firewall as an employee or authorized guest, to get out.  And most of
> the time they didn't authorize guests.  Whatever I needed to do had to
> wait until I got back to my hotel.
>
> I hate to say this, but maybe we should follow their lead, here,

yup.... exactly ... ( people are getting to used to the total freedom
and flexibility, without understanding the consequences )

	- it's the company's livelyhood, to show that is tries very
	hard to protects its IP ...

	- "the company" cannot assume that people will do the right thing
	especially when "the free key" goes traveling to hotels, airports,
	wifi and other insecure places

disallowing things will allow the company to reassert that *you* are
responsible for what *you* take out and what *you* bring into the company
	and it is there to help assure both sides are doing it "right"
	within the constraints fo security and productivity and ease
	and all the toher mumble/jumble

> especially if mystery laptops are causing an active problem on one's
> network.  Tell them to use their cellphones. :-)  Metro wireless will be
> here soon enough, right?

secure places i know .. doesn't allow cell phones either ..
	- empty hands .. empty pocket policy ...

don't eat too much

have fun
alvin