waterlogged hard drive recovery

Alison Chaiken wolfgang+gnus-baylisa at dailyplanet.dontspam.wsrcc.com
Fri Nov 18 22:06:33 PST 2005

alvin at Mail.Linux-Consulting.com (Alvin Oga) writes:
> -- the problem is ...
> 	- most disk has air vents on the disks so its NOT waterproof

True.

> 	and sometimes its vaccuum so you will need a special room
> 	to remove the heads/platters

You're thinking of a clean room with low particle count, not a vacuum
room.  While it's true that bunny suits can be very claustrophic, at
least we don't have to wear SCBA while we're inside (not yet anyway).

BTW, disk drives never have vacuum inside.  One of the major
innovations of the disk drive is the "flying" head.  That is, the
read/write head is an aerodynamic design whose shape causes lift when
the disk rotates.  The head-platter spacing is automatically
controlled by the rotation speed and does not have to be actively
servoed!

ObSysAdmin stuff: I really like the Mozilla Calendar program.  It
supports the Ical standard so that the various useful calendars on the
net can be automatically imported and updated.  Gee, imagine how
useful it would be if the Bay Area Linux Events calendar were
available in the Ical format.

--
Alison Chaiken    		"From:" address above is valid.
(650) 236-2231 [daytime]	http://www.wsrcc.com/alison/