waterlogged hard drive recovery

Jim Hickstein jxh at jxh.com
Fri Nov 18 21:17:42 PST 2005

>I watched the pro's "fix" flood-damaged tv's by the dozens.  The steps
>were always the same.  Hose off the boards, spray with '409, hosed off
>again, dry with compressed air, let sit overnight to finish drying and
>then plug in to test.  Normally the units just worked.

Back in 1980 I had a job repairing terminals.  A few of them came in contaminated inside and out with very fine ash.  Think of a major volcano in the northwestern US in 1980.  It was upwind of some of our locations.  Water did the trick on all but one.

But an ADM-1A with through-hole TTL is a damn sight harder to damage than a disk drive from 2005.  YMMV, verily.