mtg followup - laptops

Fri Nov 18 18:13:25 PST 2005

hi ya

On Fri, 18 Nov 2005, Alan Horn wrote:

> In two years of laptop deployment at my previous company this has not
> occured.

we on the other hand ... had about 1/3 of the laptops "lost, dropped,
stolen, etc, etc" out of say 100 of um over the course of 3 yrs
	- if the company keeps replacing the laptops, it will grow leggs
 	and the company has since gone the way of *.com ( aquired and
	disappeared )

> We followed a simple policy :

always good to have written down policies ... which makes it
easier for the managers to enforce

> All laptops pass through the hands of IT before they hit the company
> network in any way.

just to play the devil, again, does that mean all incoming laptops after
its been traveling or coming from the employee's home, gets to go to IT
and "cleaned" before it gets plugged back into the corp lan ??

	- i doubt that it would be but... one never knows

each time the laptop leaves the corp lan, it can pick up the nasty's
and bring it inside

those that had to deal with outbreaks know where that problems was
after the fact .. and hopefully, management changed the policies

- usually nothing will change for the "better/tighter controls" until
  something happened where the "risk was higher" than one initially
  thought as acceptable

have fun
alvin