mtg followup

Fri Nov 18 17:38:48 PST 2005

hi ya

On Fri, 18 Nov 2005, Bill Ward wrote:

> There
> are legitimate business cases to be made for most of the things you
> are disallowing.

yup.. there is lots of reasons for and against "any securtity risks"

> If you need someone to physically come in to the office to use a
> machine that's been properly blessed by IT security staff,

and how many laptops have been blessed/issued by the company,
gets plugged in at home, picks up a virus at home, and
brought into work and spread out thru the company ??
	- very very common problem and occurs fairly often

> That's what makes security in IT hard.

IT is easy ... security and data policy management is not easy

> Allowing
> it while providing an acceptable level of security is hard, but if it
> can be done it will greatly improve productivity at an acceptable
> level of risk.  Security is about managing risk, not eliminating it.

i'm sure we've all heard all that too .. and the problem
is managing risk is fine, and as you said, at what costs in
terms of $$$ and productive of the staff and cleanup costs
in case of incidences and of the folks that is traveling
vs folks that want to work from home

lots of possible solutions ... my point is i see lots of
easy targets of "corp data" being lost or sneaking out
and/or competitors info coming in when the company
didn't know or want that data ( very comon problem too )
	- people will tend to copy their old rolodex
	at the new company ... ( esp sales folks when
	they are now selling what was the competitors widgets )

- in etiher case .. fun stuff

c ya
alvin