Backup MXes

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Nov 17 01:00:40 PST 2005

Quoting Michael T. Halligan (michael at halligan.org):

> I'm missing the point of this e-mail? Is it really backup MXs, or a
> reason to publically flog dnsreport's toolset?

I thought people might be interested, in particular, in my post's second
half's comments about backup MXes, and disadvantages thereof.  The
reason this is connected to dnsreport.com's CGI is that it (currently)
advises those (like me) having only a single MX that "there is a chance
that mail may have troubles reaching you", implying that this is an
undesirable and dangerous MTA configuration.

That advice is given frequently enough that I thought my reasons for
profoundly disagreeing would be of interest.

If I erred, then my apologies for the intrusion.