Joyent: another entry for workgroup collaboration

Jim Dennis jimd at starshine.org
Mon Nov 14 01:40:06 PST 2005

On Thu, Nov 10, 2005 at 07:01:41PM -0800, Danny Howard wrote:
> Hey,

> Joyent looks interesting.  It looks like it may not yet be fully baked.
> I'm curious if they'll support standard file sharing protocols, and if
> and how they'll add wiki and blog features, as well as what "upgrade
> path" they forsee for companies that grow beyond the capabilities of a
> single box.

 Frankly Zimbra looks more interesting to me.  Their demo is compelling
 since it functions about as well via AJAX/browser as a local app on
 the once system of mine that I tried it on.

 Joyent just looks like slick, cartoony marketing fluff for now.
 Perhaps when I see it actually running I'll be more impressed.
 (The fact that their "Explore" pages require Quicktime 7 is a bit
 of a show stopper for me on this particular computer --- I don't
 feel like hunting down a plug-in for my copy of Mozilla on Debian Sarge
 if such a beast even exists).  Zimbra's choice of flash was much more
 savvy to the likes of me.

 Also Zimbra looks more interesting in that they are apparently trying
 to build an open source community around the core of their product.

 I'd like to know what's a "hairball" about it.

--
Jim Dennis