Joyent: another entry for workgroup collaboration

Jennifer Davis sigje at sigje.org
Thu Nov 10 16:28:44 PST 2005

> Mirapoint didn't impress them.
>
> They went with Joyent. http://joyent.com/
>
> Maybe we should get a presentation from them at some point; they're based in
> San Francisco.

Wow.  I went to their website.  It's the kind of stuff that doesn't
impress me about salesforce.  "you don't need an IT person to do any of
this"..

Jill won.t waste valuable time researching complicated hardware decisions
or software choices.

(from joyent.com/experience/)

She plugs in the power and connects the Joyent Connector to her cable
modem. No extra trips to the store required. Simple and easy, just like
ordering.

ordering what?? what does the little box do? what's the security?
especially considering you put all your files and emails on it.

She spends less money on basic computer technology and invests her
technology budget growing Jill.s Company.

riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.  So email/file collaboration is a very
basic computer technology.

Jill.s business grows. She now has 34 employees. Time to get another
Connector!

... oh that's sweet.  So as you go along.. how many connectors do you have
to buy?  One for every 32 employees?  Do they work together?

And what is this "Just point your web browser to
http://home.your-company-name.com" .. does that mean Joyent is doing a
little magical dns redirection to the little box?

oh more information!

The information you store on your Joyent Connector . email, files,
calendar events and more . will be backed up regularly to servers at
Joyent.s data center.

warning bells warning bells!  they have all your data!

A Single Login Identity

Each user gets a single login that works across the entire Joyent system:
one username and one password that works everywhere. This means more than
not having to remember a handful of separate passwords; by using a single,
integrated system-wide account, you can access all of your data from
anywhere.

can you see all your data from alternate locations? so browsing from a
internet cafe do you still get access?

The technical specs (it's very scant on details):

To use the Joyent Connector and service, you really don.t need to know the
details of the system. But. we recognize that many of you will want to
know the specifications of our system before you are comfortable placing
an order. That.s fine . we think you should know what you are buying:

CPU: Pentium(tm) 4 equivalent chip
RAM: 1 GB
Hard Disk: Dual 300GiB hard drives in a mirrored configuration
Networking: 2 GigE Ethernet ports and 1 802.11b/g WiFi Access Point
Expansion: 3 IEEE 1394 (.FireWire.) Ports

Note that the Joyent Connector doesn.t have a CD drive, mouse, keyboard,
or video card because you don.t need them. All of your interaction with
the Connector takes place over the web.