Splunk + BayLISA Event: Nov 19, 2005: Camp Sys Admin

Jennifer Davis sigje at sigje.org
Wed Nov 9 14:10:37 PST 2005

As hinted about last month, the event is organized, and the website is up
and available for registration.  I would have liked some different topics
(and different name :), but it's a joint effort which means having to
balance what people felt was needed.  The idea is to discuss 2 topics for
the day.. (based on your rating of topics as to what you want to discuss).
Discussions are led by a moderator, and then there is an hour summary at
the end of all the discussions, and entire group discussions.  Each group
will have from 10-15 people in it (from my understanding) so there is a
limit of 50-75 people for this event.  This is an experiment.. maybe it
works maybe it doesn't.  If it doesn't work out, well we need to figure
out what would make it better/worthwhile.

Details (from the website):

The goal of Camp Sys Admin is to confront the challenges facing us all as
our data centers continue to grow in size and complexity. In a one day
gathering, we want to create a forum for campers to dialog with other
seasoned Sys Admins, data center architects and technology developers.

Sessions will be moderated by experts in Open Source, systems
administration and data center technologies.

Breakout sessions will give campers the chance to talk about specific
problems they encounter, tools and techniques they use and "wish lists" to
make life in the data center easier.

Participation is free, but space is limited, so register now!

Each camper will have the opportunity to participate in discussions on two
of the following topics in breakout sessions lead by expert moderators.

    1. Issues of managing Open Source vs. proprietary infrastructure
applications and infrastructure middleware.
    2. Troubleshooting messaging systems.
    3. Ops Collaboration: How data center gurus work together when problems
cross different domains.
    4. Transitioning from PBX to IP Telephony: Differences in debugging and
network troubleshooting techniques.
    5. J2EE Troubleshooting.

Date & Location

November 19, 2005
Diablo Grande Wine Gallery
669 Mission Street, San Francisco, CA 94105
www.diablogrande.com/winegallery
Agenda
10 to 10:30	Check In
10:30 to 11	Introductions
11 to 12:15	Sessions Tracks 1-5
12:15 to 1:15	Lunch
1:15 to 2:30	Sessions Tracks 1-5
2:30 to 3:30	Recap
3:30 to 5	Wine Tasting and Troubleshooting Party

More Details (that you can't see on the website yet)

Moderators (2 of the 5 moderators):

Ethan Galstad, creator of Nagios, will lead the discussion on Ops
Collaboration.

Brian Aker, Director of Architecture for MySQL will lead the discussion on
Open Source vs. proprietary applications.

I'm still getting details about the other 3 moderators.  (If anyone would
LIKE to moderate one of the other 3 options, please do let me know and we
can set you up :)

Thanks all!

Jennifer