Options for a 24-port firewall?

Henry Goldwire henry at vatican.com
Tue Nov 8 09:19:20 PST 2005

How about a linux box using the built-in gig NIC connected to a $300 24-port
switch that supports 802.1q VLANs (e.g. netgear FSM726).  You run linux with
8021q module and iptables.  If you're feeling fancy, use two e1000s in a
pair under ANS.  Voila.  24 port gigabit firewall -- $1000.

P.S.  You will fail when you try to make this HA using VRRP.

-- Henry