Job Market

vraptor at employees.org vraptor at employees.org
Mon Nov 7 14:20:10 PST 2005

On Fri, 4 Nov 2005, Danny Howard wrote:

> You know qualified SysAdmins who need work?  How about Perl developers
> with Mason, Postgres, and AJAX experience?  Everybody is hiring and the
> best candidates are scarce now because, well, everybody's hiring.  Maybe
> Google gets some credit for sucking in a lot of the most talented people
> in the Valley.
>
> I have seen "bleak" ... that was 2001, 2002, and 2003.  In 2004 I took a
> new position with a 60% salary increase.  (I had been underpaid.)  I
> don't see bleak.  At least, not for the really talented ... anyone else
> care to share their observations?

I'd definitely agree vis-a-vis the east coast.  I've seen
some of the knuckle draggers around here that pass as sys-
admins who manage to get and keep jobs...

How are the salaries out west, though (your situation aside)?
In late 2003 when things were just starting to come back,
CA salaries had seemed to have taken a 4-5 year roll-back,
which was another reason I went east. I mean, it's not like
the cost of living has gone down in CA.

=Nadine=