Stupid recruiters.

Michael T. Halligan michael at halligan.org
Mon Nov 7 18:30:19 PST 2005

>> What's still escaping me here is... Does anybody actually use these
>> companies?
>
> i got my 2nd job thru a recruiter 25+ yrs ago
> i got a okay job back in 95 time frame when *.com was just starting
>
> in my book, hiring companies shhould either have
> 	- $$$ for running their ads
> 	- $$$ for the employee they want ( 2x their potential salary )
> 	- and maybe $$ for the dedicated hr staff to find the match
>
> 	- shared hr staff ( recruiters ) are usually NOT worth it
>
> - one ez way to get them off your back ..
>
> 	- i want $150K or $250K/yr for blah blah ( something you're an
> 	expert at ) and don't budge and do have a way to verify that
> 	sum you're getting because the next potential employer might
> 	want to verify it and offer more to you
>
> 	- it usually worked for me ..
>
> 	- NEVER give them names of your friends or enemies

Seriously, though, have you ever responded to a job ad? I think of
all the positions
i've had, I got one of them by responding to an ad. The rest were
recruiters finding
my resumes, or through friends. Mostly through friends.  I got one
position once after
reading about the start-up in a trade journal. I called up their CEO,
told him I wanted
to work there, and emailed him my resume, started the next week.

>> I've done quite a bit of hiring,
>> and I think once I've actually farmed out to a body shop, I've always
>> been able to fill positions (about 30 positions
>> at various companies over the past 10 years) through friends and
>> colleagues.
>
> ah .. a friendly headhunter :-) and you probably don't take the
> same 30-50% of their first years salary as your fees
> if the hiring company paid those fees, why don't they just simply
> pay that same fee tothe employee, even if is vested over 2 or 4 yrs,
> as they'd definitely have a happier employee
>
> finding "good people" is not difficult if one knows where to look
> and/or who to ask

My rule of thumb is this. If I get you a position that pays less than
$75k, I
expect an 8-pack of guinness. If I get you a position that pays more
than $100k,
I expect a keg of guinness for my kegerator. I hardly drink at all
anymore, so let's
just say that over the past year I have had many, many opportunities
to give my
friends free guinness. I like the beer economy.

Recruiters on the other hand, if I think there is a value in me
scratching their back,
then I just remind them that I'll expect a favor some day. If I don't
think there's a value,
I demand a finder's fee, or don't give them a resume.

>> The way these recruiters try to fill positions is at best, pathetic ,
>> and at worst, criminal in the United States, and California.
>> I literally get 10-20 emails or calls like this per day.  I know that
>> if I get an email for a websphere administrator position
>> in timbuktu in the morning, that I'll get 4 more emails, and 2 phone
>> calls by the end of the day.
>
> time for new phone  and new emails
>
> 	- since the aggrevation and interruptions probably is
> 	counter productive
>
>> Do people actually encourage these recruiters?
>
> for the statistics that they do, the recruiters just need to make
> one sale  year and they still make a killing on the side

Hrm, that's interesting. Do companies buy statistics from recruiters?
If so, then I could see all of these
loser chop-shop headhunters having some value afterall.