Mailing list archives?

Brent Chapman Brent at greatcircle.com
Fri May 27 23:15:13 PDT 2005

At 5:47 PM -0700 5/27/05, David Wolfskill wrote:
>On Fri, May 27, 2005 at 05:28:25PM -0700, Michael T. Halligan wrote:
>>  Perhaps I'm just overlooking sometthing, but I can't seem to find the
>>  mailing list archives. Could somebody
>>  point me to them?
>
>They're in www.baylisa.org:/export/home/majordomo/archive.
>
>However, we do not currently have a way to access them other than via
>logging in to the machine.
>
>Now, if someone wants to volunteer to help put together a mechanism to
>provide (say) Web access to the archives, please send mail to
>blw at baylisa.org -- or services-tf at baylisa.org.

I use MHonArc (http://www.mhonarc.org/) for the lists that we host
here (see, for example,
http://www.greatcircle.com/lists/majordomo-users/archive.html), with
some heavily customized config file to get the "look & feel" of the
archives you see.

Our config file and associated shell scripts ("mhonarc.daily" is
designed to be run as a daily cron job; it invokes "mkarchive", which
does a bunch of stuff and then in turn invokes mhonarc with the
custom config file) are available from

	ftp://ftp.greatcircle.com/hidden/mhonarc-stuff.tar.gz

There are 3 files in that tarball:

mhonarc.rc is the config file for MHonArc.  I'm using version 2.5.2
of MHonArc; there are later versions available, and I expect that
these config files will probably work with a later versions.

mhonarc.daily is a shell script that is run once a day as a cron job,
to run MHonArc to generate the HTML pages from the original
plain-text mail archives.

mkarchive is a Perl script, which is invoked by mhonarc.daily, and
which does the actual work of running MHonArc and then generating
appropriate top-level index pages and such.

Good luck!

-Brent
--
Brent Chapman <brent at greatcircle.com> -- Great Circle Associates, Inc.
Specializing in network infrastructure for Silicon Valley since 1989