Suggestions for colocation needed

Michael T. Halligan michael at halligan.org
Tue May 24 11:43:57 PDT 2005

Excellent list!

Just a few questions I would add :

Capacity :
- Will you have space when I need to expand in X (months|weeks|years)

Backbone :
- What are your peering options (some datacenters will let you drop a
router into a peering room for free)

Facilities :
- What is your utility rating, how long will it take for you to get
"turned back on" in case of a natural disaster.
- Do you provide conference rooms? (datacenters can be great sales tools)

Power :
- How many amps do you allow on your circuit (Abovenet used to trip 20
amp circuits when you hit 13 amps)
- Can you deliver multiple circuits into a rack/cabinet/cage from
multiple PDUS
- Do you have a web interface for customers to monitor their power usage
graphs (you'd be surprised how few places offer this)
- Do you monitor customer's power circuits, and alert them or
investigate when there is frequent variation?

Noc/staffing :
- How much do noc services cost, and how are they billed (some places
give an all you can eat NOC model, some, like equinix, bill
in 30 minute chunks at $250/hour)

Hardware :
- Do you provide shelves, screws, patch cables, and general rack
equipment (screw holes for square-holed posts), and provide a price-sheet
for them. (this one I find important. at 2am it's nice to know you can
knock on the noc window, and buy a crossover cable)

--
BitPusher, LLC