Distributed/Clustered file systems?

Michael T. Halligan michael at halligan.org
Tue Jun 21 16:26:23 PDT 2005

I'm looking for some low-cost alternatives to buying a SAN/NAS, or even
a large file server.  I'm about to do
a tech refresh, buying a dozen new servers and relinquishing our old
servers to our testing network. I'm probably
going to buy an exabyte lto-3 tape library, but instead of the
complexity of host-based backup systems, I'd like
to use the free space on each server (of which there will be quite a
bit) to create a couple of large volumes, effectively
doing RAID over my lan.  The only options that seem to be viable for
this kind of setup are PVFS and Lustre.  Does
anybody have experience with this type of solution, and can recommend
one from a stability point of view?

BitPusher, LLC
http://www.bitpusher.com/
1.888.9PUSHER