Recommendation for FreeBSD virtual private server vendor?

William R Ward bill at wards.net
Fri Jun 17 16:03:38 PDT 2005

David Carmean writes:

>Feeling guilty about the spam and diskspace load I'm putting on my friends'
>home/DSL server, I'm looking into affordable alternatives and Virtual Private
>Servers are looking interesting.  I prefer FreeBSD over Linux.
>
>What I'm concerned about is how to get one set up with packet filters (pref.
>ip_filter) before the thing goes on-line.  How do vendors handle that
>chicken-and-egg problem?
>
>Any recommendations for vendors or what to look for in services?  RackSpace's
>DDS looks interesting.
>
>Is anybody reselling VMWare-based virtual machines?

I know you said you prefer not to use Linux, but I have no such qualm
and am fairly happy with linode.com.

As for packet filters, the default installation of most modern OS's
only opens up a handful of key ports anyway, such as ssh and http, so
it shouldn't be a big risk.  Plus there's nothing there yet for them
to hack and you know it's the most current version of the OS.

--
William R Ward               bill at wards.net             http://bill.wards.net