network thruput

Wed Jun 1 01:47:26 PDT 2005

hi ya eric

On Tue, 31 May 2005, Eric Wagar wrote:

> > - current upper management premise ...
> > 	- keep windoze and backup machines on the same lan
> > 	because it doesn't clutter the wire
> > 	even thou 80% of the packets is udp and netbios :-) duuhhh...
>
> Did you draw pretty pictures to dissuade them?  That usually works for
> me...the more colors the better.

and a little script that anybody can run to show that transfering
files on a network free of netbios is 5x faster but something
musta been wrong with the test script..etc.etc.. it can't be .. etc..etc..

> So, all machines have a minimum of two NICs?

some machines have 4 nics.. all going to the same nortel switch
( same 1u box ) and connected via is stackable cable in the rear

some are channel bonded .. most are not

> With your above idea, why not have the backup server on both LANs?

backups of 500GB during the day kills the network .. which it
does when it goes to the $150K 10-tape library thingie
	which in itself should be on a separate tape lan

in my world, backups should be sorta invisible on the network,
and see if the disk latency is tolerable for head seeks

---

just thought it was fun ... "upper-level managers are always right"
andits their $$$ and budget etc..

c ya
alvin