*nix education & certification questions

Eric Wagar eric at deadhookers.org
Tue Jul 5 16:32:20 PDT 2005

> 1) What would be the best certification path(s)? Do you think something
> like
> a Solaris Sys Admin cert program or a Red Hat cert program would be best?
> Or
> something more generic (CompTIA, SAIR, LPI?)? Granted, I would rather
> LEARN
> the OS IN AND OUT, not just have some highly-regarded piece of paper.

My *personal* experience has been with the RedHat RHC* series.  I am
hoping to take mine sometime this year.  (Hoping because it will be on
my own dime and with my own vacation time.)

>From what I have seen and read for the RHC* series, the tests are all
hands-on practical tests.  (Same as the Cisco tests.)  I am a Sun
Solaris 7 certified admin.  When the day comes that it has been of use
to me, I will let you know!  :)  (It was all book knowledge, nothing
real world.)

I also have three highly skilled and knowledgeable co-workers who took
the Redhat RHCE Bootcamp (the company paid) and they did not get the T
or the E cert.  So, that tells me that I must study and then absorb
*everything* in the classes I will be taking.

Out of the Sun or RH cert, I'd take someone who had the RH cert.

eric