Good gdb tutorial/references?

Mark C. Langston mark at bitshift.org
Fri Jan 21 18:25:47 PST 2005

First:  This isn't a plea for a tool to replace gdb.

With that out of the way, are there any decent tutorials or other
references for gdb that someone could point me to?  The books Stallman
wrote are pretty much just verbatim copies of the manpages and help
content, and reading through those isn't a great help right now.

Specifically, I'd like to see something that addressed debugging
coredumps separate from the running process, then perhaps stepping
through a running process attempting to reproduce the conditions that
caused the core.

Even better would be something that addresses dealing with the screwups
gdb can make when you're running it against an optimized (but not
stripped) (i.e., -g -O2) binary.

--
Mark C. Langston                                   The GOSSiP Project
mark at bitshift.org     http://sourceforge.net/projects/gossip-project/