Java Seminar training - 50% Feb 5, 2005

Jennifer Davis sigje at sigje.org
Sun Jan 16 03:50:40 PST 2005

Another discount for BayLISA, 50% off the $199 Java Seminar training
coming up on Saturday, February 5, 2005 at the Hurricane Electric Fremont,
California facility. (so $99.50 for the 6 hour class!)

I attended the November Perl training with Randal Schwartz, and I wanted
to give you an idea of my experience.  ( I am already signed
up for the Java seminar because of the excellent experience I had in
November.  I'm hoping that BayLISA can work with HE to host some
more hardcore SA type training as well. )

First, normally the Perl course that was offered is done over 3 days.  It
was packed into 6 hours.  Breakfast was catered, as was lunch.  Training
book was provided with lots of space to take notes.  Also, at the end
of the training, Randal's book "Learning Perl Objects, References, and
Modules" was given out.

Randal really knows his topic, and answered all questions drilling down to
the root of the question and handling wayward questions quite capabley
(you know the type of question that leads the talk off into the wilderness
leaving some lost, others bored..).  The course was Unix centric, but is
applicable pretty much anywhere you can find perl.  I was interested to
see that he uses emacs, and is a LISP expert as well.  One of the fun
aspects was that he used Gilligan's Island in his examples to be a little
different, and yet applicable through the different concepts he was
teaching. It wasn't just about being cute with the training materials.

I've heard arguments for and against perl being object oriented, and
Randal basically cut straight to the point and showed how perl is object
oriented rather than focusing on all the terminology.  It was different
than I've seen OO taught before, and from the looks on people's faces,
quite helpful.  He linerialized the knowledge taking students from point
to point, building solid foundations of understanding, then introducing
the concepts.

Why would a sysadmin take this intermediate perl class?  It's a
fundamental class for sysadmins wanting to create a library of reuseable
code to solve problems, and to share back with the community.  For me it
also gave me a good reflection of how much I knew (the first few hours was
a fast paced review with kernels of wisdom as I learned a better way to do
some things), and introduced me to writing my own modules.  For
individuals who haven't had a lot of perl experience, I'd advise the
Beginner class first.  Randal does speak fast and if you don't have a
solid understanding of perl basics, you shouldn't jump in to the
Intermediate class.

So why would a sysadmin take a Java class?  Well, I believe strongly in
the idea that you have to be at least acquainted to the many languages out
there. Depending on your role in your environment, you may find yourself
supporting an application that is based on Java, or debugging system
resource issues caused by java applications.  There is also no need to
limit yourself from expanding your repertoire to include the capability to
understand the development process better.  If you are having problems
finding a job maintaining systems/network/security, getting some skills in
development might not be so bad.  Or maybe you have always wanted to
create that swiss army knife type tool that you've not found anywhere.

I look forward to seeing any of you who can make it to the training!  The
following is the information I received from Tiffany from HE.

"Better Software, Faster: Java Seminar"

On Saturday, February 5, 2005, Hurricane Electric is hosting "Better
Software, Faster," an informative Java seminar. Mike Clark, consultant,
speaker, programmer and author of Pragmatic Project Automation (The
Pragmatic Bookshelf, 2004) will lead the comprehensive seminar, designed
for all Java software developers who have a working knowledge of Java and
basic OO concepts. The seminar will focus on three key topics pertinent to
Java software developers: writing good code, test-driven development, and
project automation. Writing good code will focus on writing clean code,
test-driven development will explore 12 practical ways to start writing
JUnit tests, and project automation will give participants the recipes for
automating software projects.

Attendees will receive a free copy of Mike Clark's new book, "Pragmatic
Project Automation."

BayLISA members will receive a 50% discount on the $199 seminar fee.

For more information and to register for this event, check out
http://www.he.net/seminar/java.html, call 510-580-4141 or email Tiffany
Morales at tmorales at he.net.  When registering online, place BayLISA in the
Company field of the registration form.  If you are calling, or emailing
Tiffany, make sure to mention BayLISA to receive the discount.

--
Jennifer Davis
BayLISA