Help with Cricket [RedHat Linux, Apache2, Perl-5.8]?

Tue Jan 11 20:55:08 PST 2005

hi ya david

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005, David Wolfskill wrote:

> An acquaintance mentioned that he wanted to have a better idea than
> he currently had
..
> It seemed to me that Cricket would likely be a simple approach that
> would address his concerns quickly and easily.

what are the requirements ??
mrtg is also another popular look-n-see

> It seems that I have grossly underestimated the challenge in store for
> me in getting Cricket installed, configured, and running.

for rh boxes ... you have 2 choices
	- install the precompiled binaries or use the original source

	- to install precompiled binaries
		rpm -ivh cricket-xxx.i386.rpm

	- sources
		http://prdownloads.sf.net/cricket

	- yahoo# "rpm cricket"  should find those

> As noted, I had not had occasion to deal with Apache 2.x or suEXEC before.

i think it's a bad thing to have suEXEC ..
	- simpler to move the binaries into cgi-bin

> Those docs at www.apache.org indicate quite a few configuration options,

too many options in my book

> I found one Web site that indicated that if suEXEC were in use, one should
> copy the CGI scripts to the "DocumentRoot" -- which strikes me as a
> very strange thing to want to do, at best.

yup, probably from one that puts everything in one directory and doesnt
use /cgi-bin/

> So:  is there some plausibly rational way to install Cricket on a RedHat
> Linux system using Apache 2.0.46 as the Web server and with Perl 5.8 as

if there are problems ... first thing i do is upgrade to the latest
apps  ( apache-2.0.52 )

> I needed to fetch the bits and pieces myself, which wasn't so terribly
> bad, but then the generated Makefile for Time-HiRes-1.65 had all kinds
> of bizarre syntax errors (odd number of "'" on a line; lines missing
> chunks...).

depending on what the syntax errors.. it could be a problem

but sounds like the perl modules ( Time-HiRes ) is having problems

> And, of course, I am very unfamiliar with RPM, so that
> didn't help much.

you can get around any rpm problem by using source code
and compile the apps

> But this stuff with suEXEC is the most perverse
> aspect yet.  Eh; enough ranting....]

:-)

any other cricket errors ?? - or is it working ??
in that it shows some pretty pics

have fun
alvin