server quote sanity check, please?

Strata R. Chalup strata at virtual.net
Mon Jan 10 15:55:14 PST 2005

Jim Hickstein wrote:

> The overhead that causes the differential is support.  Many mail-order
> firms probably don't have much overhead.  For an extra $700, I would stick
> with a reputable dealer I could physically go and shake.  I'd also push
> back on the price, but probably stick with the local outfit.  Much above
> that delta and I might find another dealer.

I agree.  Sadly, this is a dealer who, while reputable, is much more
of the "build it and shove it out the door" model than offering any
support of any kind, fee-based, warranty, or otherwise.

I'm not looking to self-build, I'm looking to either get a price break
on the current "take the money and run" type dealer, or find out that
there are places who will cost as much but actually DO something to earn
the price differential.

Alan Horn wrote:
 > I just don't bother building my own systems for deployment anymore. For
 > everything but the lowest budget situations its not worth the worry of
 > wondering if I got it all right. My time is better spent elsewhere in
 > sysadmin ;)

With these folks, I honestly think we might be better off building
the systems ourselves, ordering components from reputable online
firms (no bottom-fishing on eBay).   And I don't believe in building
my own systems for production use at client sites, so that tells you
something about the vendor right there, eh?

cheers,
Strata