server quote sanity check, please?

Strata R. Chalup strata at virtual.net
Mon Jan 10 13:58:35 PST 2005

I haven't dealt extensively with PC hardware for a few years, and
wonder if the folks quoting one of my clients are pretty much in line
with the market, or padding a bit much.  When I froogle'd around a bit,
I could see saving $700 or so without even trying hard, paying online
retail.  I know vendors have to pay their own bills, but I would think
that they'd get a wholesale advantage that would offset online retail
pricing.

For instance, before sales tax I'm seeing a quote of about $3500 for
the following system-- think it's on the money, or out of line?  Know
someone who can do better with the same parts list?

1U server, Dual XEON w/ 4GB memory & 2 x 250GB Hard Disk:

1 x Supermicro X5DPA-GG Serverboard -
http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon/E7501/X5DPA-GG.cfm
2 x Intel XEON 3.2GHz 533MHz 1MB processor
2 x Inttel XEON processor fan
4 x 1GB PC2100 ECC Registered - Kingston# KVR266X72RC25/1GD
1 x Integrated ATI Rage XL Graphics
1 x Integrated Dual Intel Gigabit Ethernet Controllers
1 x Maxtor 40GB 133/7200 IDE Hard Disk
2 x Maxtor 250GB 133/7200 IDE Hard Disk
1 x 1.44MB Floppy Disk
1 x Slim IDE CD-ROM Drive
1 x Supermicro 1U Rackmount Chassis w/ 420watts power -
http://www.supermicro.com/products/chassis/1U/811/SC811i-420.cfm

Thanks much.  Will summarize replies and feed back to the list.

cheers,
Strata

Strata Rose Chalup [KF6NBZ]                      strata "@" virtual.net
VirtualNet Consulting                            http://www.virtual.net/
  ** Project Management & Architecture for ISP/ASP Systems Integration **