Delay for mailing list message posting

David Wolfskill david at catwhisker.org
Mon Feb 7 11:20:28 PST 2005

There have been some very heated emailed messages sent via these lists
recently on some matters that were discussed by the BayLISA Board of
Directors.

reduce the temperature of the rhetoric, I have taken the liberty
of placing the BayLISA mailing lists in "moderated" status.

I have been approving on-topic, technical posts unrelated to the
divisive issue(s) in question.

For the rest, I am imposing an additional delay.  Please note that
posts are not being lost.  However, one of the reasons for the delay
is for the authors of the posts in question to send an independent
confirmation to postmaster at baylisa.org that, after reflection, the
author does want to the message sent.

I will approve such messages and they will be sent out.

One of the aspects of email is that once a message is sent out, it is
about as difficult to prevent its dissemination as it is to "un-say"
something hurtful said in the heat of an argument.  I am trying to
provide enough buffer that message authors may choose to reconsider
messages if they choose.

I do not have a particular fixed notion of the extent of the delay, but
I strongly recommend at least several hours before trying to send
confirmation.

I apologize for the inconvenience and awkwardness, but after thinking on
the issue over the past couple of days, I have not come up with anything
else that is likely to help ... and that is something I can control
(or at least influence).

So if you sent a message to one of these lists, have not seen your
message posted to the list, and actually do want it sent (after
reflection), please send a note to postmaster at baylisa.org confirming
your decision.  No, I am not requiring signed mail, so yes, someone
could possibly forge such a request.  I'm willing to accept that risk.

Again:  no messages will be lost (save those that authors choose to have
not sent out) as a result of this.  However, I will not approve any
messages on the topic that are not followed (after a suitable delay) by
a separate request, addressed to postmaster at baylisa.org, to go ahead and
approve the messages for posting.

Peace (really!),
david         (current hat: postmaster at baylisa.org)
David H. Wolfskill				david at catwhisker.org
There is a place in software engineering for an appreciation of history.

See http://www.catwhisker.org/~david/publickey.gpg for public key.