Remote power management solutions?

Rich Holland holland at guidancetech.com
Sat Dec 31 13:15:00 PST 2005

I'm looking for a really cheap remote power management solution for use at
home.  I have a handful of external USB drives that I need occasional remote
access to, but generally they can be powered down (they get REALLY hot!).
I'd like to find a fairly inexpensive power port or power strip that I can
use to toggle their power on/off remotely via VNC, e.g. by running some
local program on the server at home.

Has anyone seen anything like this, or built one, or have plans for building
one?  I don't mind cobbling something together using an OTS power strip, but
I'm trying to avoid spending hundreds of dollars if possible.

Thanks!

Rich Holland

Principal Consultant

Guidance Technologies, Inc.