secure data erasing

David Wolfskill david at catwhisker.org
Wed Dec 7 22:09:38 PST 2005

On Wed, Dec 07, 2005 at 09:09:56PM -0800, Alison at wsrcc.com wrote:

> alvin at Mail.Linux-Consulting.com (Alvin Oga) writes:

> > the itty-bitty section ofthe disk under the head at the time of the
> > hammer might get destroyed, but the rest of data on the platter is
> > still intact
>
> As suggested above, destroying the heads (perhaps with tweezers) is a
> lot easier than denting the platters with hammers.  Damaged heads
> won't prevent someone from putting the platters in another system and
> reading them, but then we're talking about a fairly motivated and
> sophisticated snoop.

For at least some consumer-grade drives, applying force (at room
temperature & pressure) is very unlikely to "dent" a platter.

I disassembled a drive that was to be thrown away.  (I believe it was an
IBM drive that was retired after it reported read errors.)

I thought it would be amusing to deform one of the platters to a
hyperbolic paraboloid (a "saddle curve"); I proceeded to do that (by
hand).

The platter resisted deformation; I pressed harder.

It shattered.

I was surprised -- and I am thankful that no shards struck my eyes.

I am reasonably confident that reconstructing any data that may have
resided on that drive would not be worth the effort -- if, indeed, it
might be possible.  (We were picking shards out of the carpet of that
office for months....)

Peace,
david
David H. Wolfskill				david at catwhisker.org
It is courteous to reduce quoted text to just that needed to establish context.