New Automation Project (ControlTier)

Damon Edwards damon at controltier.com
Thu Dec 1 17:37:39 PST 2005

Greetings, just letting everyone on the list know about our new open
source project, ControlTier.

http://open.controltier.com/

ControlTier automates application deployment and control. It combines
both configuration management (configuring all of the various
components of a distributed, multi-tier application) and process
management (coordinates and sequences the various procedures that need
to happen in order to deploy, configure, and control a distributed,
multi-tier application).

Designed to be a tool that automates other tools, ControlTier works
with your existing scripts (Shell, Ant, Perl, Ruby, etc..) and can
integrate your favorite tools into complex processes (cfengine,
Kickstart/Jumpstart, Maven, etc..). ControlTier may appear to have a
Unix slant to it, but is completely cross platform and has been used
successfully in Windows-only environments

The software has been in use at multiple large enterprises over the
past 3 years (ControlTier, Inc. is an automation solutions provider),
but has only been an open source project for a few months. Any and all
feedback is welcome either here or on our mailing lists. Some of our
developers will also be at the LISA conference in San Diego on Monday
and Tuesday.

Other links of interest:

Overview of platform:
http://open.controltier.com/documentation/developers/platform.html
FAQ:
http://open.controltier.com/documentation/faq.html
Roadmap (the tools continue to evolve rapidly):
http://open.controltier.com/development/roadmap/3-0.html
Mailing lists: