Musings on hardware prices - opps

Guy B. Purcell guy at extragalactic.net
Wed Aug 24 00:41:39 PDT 2005

On Aug 23, 2005, at 20:34, Michael T. Halligan wrote:

>> yup... seems to be par ... and i say one gets what one pays for ??
>>

> Yes.  Now the math here works out that
> 1000 servers from Dell cost $1M
> 1000 HP servers cost $2.M
> 1000 IBM servers cost $2.8M
>
> If you buy those 1000 servers, using the 30% rule, that means you
> only "needed" 769 servers, and
> over-bought those 231 servers for redundancy, and extra performance
> just in case.

All that has me thinking (again) about the hidden costs of hardware
on the cheap.  Let's look again at those figures for the 1000
servers.  If you're saying that Dell's stuff fails 30% more often
than HW from HP, IBM, or SUN, then you really should be comparing
1000 servers from Dell with 700 servers from the "premium" players
(where'd you get 70% of 1000 = 769?).  So that'd be

1000 servers from Dell cost $1M
700 HP servers cost $1.4M
700 IBM servers cost $1.96M

Still, the HP boxes cost 40% more than those from Dell, and IBM's are
about twice as much as Dell's, but things aren't quite so heavily
weighted as you made them seem, Michael.

[...snip...]

>>> As much as I despise
>>> Dell's component choices and technical support, it's a financial
>>> AND technical decision dell is making really hard.
>>
>> yup...if one is interested in pricing ... dell is hard to beat
>>
>> if the customer is intested in performace/reliability ... than
>> dell is out of the loop in my book
>>

> Blanket statements are really hard to make on imperial evidence. My
> rule of thumb is
> to expect Dell gear to be down 30% more often than HP or IBM.
> That's to build in room for
> problems. In actual experience, I can look over uptime reports for
> two customers in 2004. One
> of them had 100 Dell servers. One of them had 45 HP servers. The
> dell environment, overbuilt,
> had 99.99% uptime. The HP environment, if I adjust the #s, had
> about 99.95% uptime.  Service
> uptime during a 12 hour business day, both archived 5 9s.
>
> The difference? The Dell environment was more of a pain to install
> initially, and had more server failures.

Ah, now there's the rub:  what do you do with those 300 extra (and
now dead) Dell boxes that you had to buy due to the higher failure
rate of Dell products?  You get 'em fixed/replaced, of course--Dell's
great at it with their service tag thingy!  OK, but _someone_ still
has to make all the phone calls (hey, they don't all fail at once),
pack the returns, unpack the replacement parts, install 'em, perhaps
rebuild entire boxes, and so forth.  Ick!

It doesn't stop there, either, because 30% of the replacement
equipment also will fail, nullifying 100 of the 300 needing repair
and costing even more in time/effort--and, of course, 30 of those 100
will break, and 10 of those 30, which may get you down to the failure
rate of the HP gear (don't know--haven't ever been in a position to
work with such numbers).

The thing is that if, as is my current situation, your colo is 30
minutes away without traffic, you're talking about three hours at
least per repair/replacement, factoring in phone, travel, part
receipt, replacement, & return times.  The average to-fix time could
be significantly higher, depending on the particular HW involved &
how it failed (eg. disks are easy if things are mirrored, but you
reinstall everything if not).  As you see, this can significantly
increase the cost of going with Dell boxen (say we need to fix those
300 + 100 = 400 systems, at an average repair time of 4 hrs each, and
sysadmin time costs $100 / hr--all somewhat mushy figures, but you
have to pick _something_).

As if all that wasn't hard enough to quantify, there's the morale of
dealing with failing HW.  You said, "hardware sucks," Michael, and
that you preferred to essentially ignore the HW & concentrate on the
infrastructure.  I agree, mostly:  from my point of view, HW is part
of that infrastructure, and doing a job as well as possible to me
means using HW that doesn't suck.  I like to see well-designed HW as
much as I like to see well-designed software or a well-designed
architecture.  When things suck, sysadmins move elsewhere; when they
don't, we stay put.  Training new sysadmins in an environment adds to
the cost of purchasing crappy HW.  It's not something that's easy to
measure, but it exists nonetheless.

-Guy